"Rightly Value Your Gift of Life"

A monitoring of the steady decline in spiritual outlook and morality as shown in the written and published statements of the Watchtower Society.

Moderator: LWF Administration

Mary
YORWW BIBLE ACADEMY GRADUATE (ALUMNI)

"Rightly Value Your Gift of Life"

#1 Post by Mary » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:12 pm

“RIGHTLY VALUE YOUR GIFT OF LIFE”

(Hebrews 9:14) how much more will the blood of the Christ, who through an everlasting spirit offered himself without blemish to God, cleanse our consciences from dead works that we may render sacred service to [the] living God? Taken for the June 15, 2004 Watchtower, Study Article July 19-25, page 14.

This Watchtower study article starts out asking you if you had to put a value on your life, what would it be? It tells us that we do value our life because we go the doctor for a check up regularly or we go when we are sick. That we listen to our parents out of respect because they gave us life as the bible directs us to. But that ultimately we recognize Jehovah as the Source of life. And that we should listen to God obediently to try to grasp His view on life.

I agree whole-heartedly with this assessment of the value of life.

The first subheading entitled, “Show Respect for Life.” Paragraph 4, points out how Cain ‘snuffed out’ his brother Abel’s life and how God made it clear that ‘we’ humans did not have the right to do what we wished with life. The next two paragraphs it talks about the how mankind started out new with eight souls. And then emphasizes the point of not eating blood in any way (Gen. 9:3-6). Also if a man takes another man’s life that the Creator has the right to “ask back” the murderer’s life. How God was directing humans not to misuse blood and that the reason for this even though many churches chose to ignore it…is at the very core of the Christian message. Which leads us to the next subheading, “Blood--How Could It Be Used?”

Again, I agree with everything said.

The answer to the question that this subheading raises is in the Law code. Jehovah gave this Law code to Israel and it provides details on His purposes. Paragraph 8 and 9 states that the Law called for “offerings”. Some were offerings of grain, oil, and wine as the scriptures point out (Lev. 2:1-4, 23:13; Num. 15:1-5). Also say animal sacrifices were needed also as Lev. 17:11-12, talks about:

11 “For the soul of the flesh is in the blood, and I myself have put it upon the altar for YOU to make atonement for YOUR souls, because it is the blood that makes atonement by the soul [in it]. 12 That is why I have said to the sons of Israel: “No soul of YOU must eat blood and no alien resident who is residing as an alien in YOUR midst should eat blood.”

And as verse 13 says that even a hunter was to pour the blood upon the earth and cover it with dust. Isaiah 66:1 tells us that “the earth is God’s footstool” so pouring out the blood on the ground is actually giving it back to the Creator.

It goes on to further say the Jehovah had a very special purpose for blood, reserving it for a very special use of saving many lives. God only authorized blood for the use of making “atonement” for lives of the Israelites. Even Paul wrote in Heb. 9:22, “Nearly all things are cleansed with blood according to the Law, and unless blood is poured out no forgiveness takes place.” Lastly, it reminds us that animal blood could never completely cover human sins and asks the question “could any lifeblood do so?” Which leads us to the next subheading “The Life-Giver’s Solution.”

This description of the Law code’s atonement process is very brief at best. It does not give you the ‘whole story’ but leaves out key points. Every year and I repeat EVERY YEAR…there is an annual “Day of Atonement.” And in the Insight Book, volume 1, page 225 it states this:

Two goats (male kids) were obtained from the assembly of the sons of Israel by the high priest for use on the annual Day of Atonement. By the casting of lots, one goat was designated “for Jehovah,” and the other “for Azazel.” After a bull had been sacrificed for the high priest and his household (doubtless including all the Levites), the goat for Jehovah was sacrificed as a sin offering. However, the goat for Azazel was preserved alive for a time “before Jehovah to make atonement for it, so as to send it away for Azazel into the wilderness.” (Le 16:5, 7-10) Atonement for this "live goat" [or scapegoat] issued from the blood of the first goat, the goat that was first sacrificed for Jehovah, which had just been killed as a sin offering, the life of the flesh being in the blood. (Le 17:11) The blood value, or life value, of the slain goat was thus transferred to the live goat, or the goat for Azazel. Thus, though it was not killed by the priest, this "live goat" bore upon it a sin-atoning merit or a value of life. The fact that it was presented before Jehovah evidently indicates that Jehovah recognized this transfer of merit or sin-atoning power.

Both goats were to be unblemished and used as one sin offering. (Lev. 16:5) The first goat was killed as a sacrifice and the second goat was to atone for the sins of the people. And then sent into the wilderness. -- Leviticus 16:10, 20-22

For more details on the topic of the 2 goats and Atonement Day observance, please see the article entitled:

"God's Sacred Secret Revealed In the Scapegoat."

Paragraphs 11 and 12 talks about the Law pointing to something more effective in accomplishing God’s will. Paul states in Galatians 3:19, “19 Why, then, the Law? It was added to make transgressions manifest, until the seed should arrive to whom the promise had been made; and it was transmitted through angels by the hand of a mediator.” And then in Heb. 10:1, Paul tells us that “the law is shadow of the good things to come, but not the very substance of the things.” So God chose to view blood as standing for life.

Then in paragraph 13, it centers on Jesus and his death. And how his blood is used to ‘cover our sins’. That Jesus is this ‘seed’ who was to arrive according to the “promise made” (Gal 3:19). Paragraphs 14-17 goes on to site many scriptures about Jesus dying for us and for the forgiveness of our sins.

Now I have two very important questions…first according to the Law code to make a sacrificed for the people on a whole you needed two animals--two goats so if two are needed and Jesus is one then who is the other??? Second question…if Jesus is the “seed” to arrive according to the promise made”, if you cross reference this in the NWT you get Acts 7:37-38 which reads:

37 “This is the Moses that said to the sons of Israel, ‘God will raise up for YOU from among YOUR brothers a prophet like me.’ 38 This is he that came to be among the congregation in the wilderness with the angel that spoke to him on Mount Si´nai and with our forefathers, and he received living sacred pronouncements to give YOU.

This scripture talks about a promise that Moses made to Israel about “raising up a prophet from among your brothers like me” and if you cross reference this you get the original thought (De. 18:15) also a newer version (Acts 3:22) both saying this would happen in “the time of restoration”. So as it states “a prophet from among your brothers” and “like me”…now does that sound like Jesus, a perfect human who had a prior existence in the heavens with Jehovah God??? No, to me that does not make sense. Does it to you? And why does the WTS not tell you the whole deal on what is involved for ‘atonement’?? It seems there is much more to this story than “just Jesus died for our sins” and maybe that is the REAL Sacred Secret that according to Revelation 10:7 would not be revealed till now. Certainly gives one something to think about, doesn’t it?!?

As for paragraphs 18-20, it talks about the many references to blood in the Greek Scriptures. In fact they have an extra box with all those references sited. It also say how blood has a special meaning for Jehovah God. And how it is reserved to be used in a important way. Also how our All-Wise God has in mind from the beginning how the blood of Jesus would be used in this life-giving role.

I guess I feel that there is much more to this story than the Watchtower Society is telling us. That is why I feel each and everyone of us should “make sure of all things” ourselves and be like the Beroeans (Acts 17:11). I think the reason it was called a “Sacred Secret” was not because the secret was actually widely known by all (Rev. 10:7). :shock:

Return to “Forum 13: Comments And Observations From Recent And Past Watchtower Publications”